10% off RAC Travel Insurance for trips worldwide^

For members and RAC Car Insurance customers

Get a quote   

Travel Insurance

Whether you're heading for seven days in the sun or seven days on the slopes, travel insurance should be high on the list of important items to take with you, along with your passport and spending money. It provides a financial safety net should you need help with things like damaged possessions, hospital bills or cancelled trips, all of which can be expensive.
RAC Travel Insurance offers cover for single trips, as well as annual multi trip cover if you like to holiday more than once a year. If you have any questions about our cover levels visit our online FAQs or glossary of terms for more help.

All of our policies provide cover for trip cancellation, medical expenses and personal belongings, and there is a range of additional covers you can add for winter sports, cruises and weddings. 

Existing customers looking to amend their policy or make a claim can do so by calling our friendly team.

If you're planning on travelling to Europe on your holiday, single trip and annual European cover options here.

Emergency medical expenses and 24/7 helpline

Lost and delayed luggage

Airline failure and Cancellations

Heading to the slopes this winter? Don’t forget RAC Winter Sports cover

What if your ski equipment is lost, stolen, damaged or delayed by your airline? Add our Winter Sports cover to your policy and we’ll make sure you stay  on the slopes! We’ll also provide cover for piste closure, unused lift passes/hire equipment due to illness or injury, and accommodation benefit if yours is adversely affected by avalanche or landslide.

See our Winter Sports page for more details on what this covers.

Our cover levels

We’ve got three levels of cover available with varying benefits, so you can find the right cover to suit your needs.

Orange Cover Silver Cover Black Cover
£3,000 cancellation cover £5,000 cancellation cover £7,500 cancellation cover
£10m emergency medical expenses £15m emergency medical expenses Unlimited emergency medical expenses
£1,250 for personal belongings £2,000 for personal belongings £3,000 for personal belongings
£500 hospital benefit
(max £20 per day)
£1,500 hospital benefit
(max £50 per day)
£2,000 hospital benefit
(max £50 per day)
£250 gadget cover £250 gadget cover £500 gadget cover
£400 personal money £500 personal money £750 personal money
£50,000 legal expenses £50,000 legal expenses £50,000 legal expenses

Why choose RAC Travel Insurance?

At the RAC we want to ensure that you’re looked after every step of the way when you go on holiday. Whether it’s making sure you’re covered for medical expenses, helping with the costs of lost baggage or assisting with the hassle of disrupted travel arrangements, we’ve got you covered should anything go wrong.

Our friendly team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for emergency medical assistance. This means you can relax and enjoy your holiday, safe in the knowledge that we’re here to provide the help you need, when you need it.

Or phone us for a quote on 0330 159 0405

Lines are open Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm, Saturday 9am - 5pm and closed Sundays.

RAC Member and Car Insurance policyholder discount^

RAC members and RAC Car Insurance policyholders save 10% on Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip policies with RAC Travel Insurance. Enter or quote your membership or policy number at the time of purchase and we'll automatically apply your discount.

Travel Disruption Cover included as standard on Silver and Black cover levels

No one likes to think about cancelling a well-earned break, or being out of pocket if travel plans unexpectedly change. That's why our Silver and Black cover levels include Travel Disruption cover as standard, which covers you for delays or cancellations to your outbound and inbound journeys.

Travel disruption covers things like:

  • Missed departure to or from your holiday destination, including connecting travel - meaning you are delayed or have to cancel your departure
  • Insolvency of your accommodation provider - meaning you need to find somewhere else to stay while on holiday
  • Trip abandonment or cancellation after a 12 hours delay - due to delays in flight or onward travel
  • Additional travel expenses required by you to get back home - in the event you have to cancel or abandon your trip

Travel advice before you leave

Before travelling, we advise that you check our Travel Advice page as this will provide you with information from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office regarding any worldwide concerns which may affect your travel, and your policy.

Important information regarding electronic device luggage restrictions

If you have a query about your policy, would like to renew or make a claim, find all the contact details here


If you have a query regarding RAC Travel Insurance, read our frequently asked questions


An extensive glossary of all the terms relevant to your RAC Travel Insurance policy

We also cover

We’ve got three levels of annual cover available with varying benefits, so you’ll be able to find the right cover to suit you


RAC Travel Insurance will make sure that you have cover for the whole family when you go away


We want you to be able to relax on your holiday, so we offer medical Travel Insurance to help you should you need it


Whether you’re travelling just once, or taking to the slopes several times throughout the year, we’ll ensure that you’re covered


Make sure your smartphones and tablets are covered on holiday by adding our optional Enhanced Gadget cover to your policy.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why do I need travel insurance?
Travel insurance takes out the worry and expense should anything go wrong with your holiday. For example, if you need urgent medical help, are involved in an accident, lose your passport or have to cancel your holiday at the last minute, travel insurance can help to recover the costs you’d otherwise have to pay out for.

Travel insurance may also cover you on holiday if you fall ill due to an existing medical condition. When you get a quote you should let us know of any pre-existing conditions you have – if we can cover your condition you may need to pay a little extra for your insurance, but you’ll have peace of mind you’ll be covered for treatment abroad if you require it.
Q. Can I get travel insurance for a cruise?
Yes, if you buy our cruise cover option.  You can select the cruise cover option when you choose your cover or call 0330 159 0410 to add this cover to your policy. If you choose to include our cruise cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

As cruise holidays cover many different destinations, please ensure you’re covered for each country you’ll be visiting.
Q. Can I get cover for a skiing holiday and my skiing equipment?
Yes, if you buy our Winter Sports cover option - for details on what this covers, please see our Winter Sports page. You can add the Winter Sports cover option when you get your quote or call 0330 159 0410. If you choose to include our Winter Sports cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

Our Winter Sports option provides cover for damage or loss of skis and skiing equipment, and piste closure. See the Policy Wording for full details.
Q. What do I do if I need to make a claim before holiday or when I am abroad?
If you need emergency medical assistance you can call +44 (0)203 819 7176.*

Our UK-based, English speaking staff will be on the end of the phone in case of an emergency.

For non-emergency claims, the telephone number and postal address for the Claims Department can be found in your Policy Wording. Make sure you have your policy reference number when you contact the claims team.

You can contact our claims line on  +44 (0) 1403 289 151*.
Q. I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitling me to free/reduced cost emergency treatment. Do I need insurance?

The EHIC card (that replaced the E111 form) entitles you to state-provided health care in all European Economic Areas and Switzerland. Visit Foreign Commonwealth office or the NHS to find out exactly what you are covered for.

This card does not cover you for private treatment or repatriation back to the UK so it is recommended that you ensure you have sufficient insurance cover for your trip.

Q. How do I know if it is safe to holiday in my chosen country and who are the FCO?

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provide up-to-date information and advice for each country and detail if it is safe to travel there. Check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website prior to travelling.

Information can be found here.

The FCO are a government agency providing important advice and support for British nationals travelling abroad. They also list the countries that they consider unsafe to visit  .

We won’t cover travel to countries or areas when the Travel Advice Unit of the FCO or regulatory authority in a country to/from which you are travelling has advised against all, or all but essential travel.

However, if the FCO changes their advice about a country/area we provide cover for, our Travel disruption cover would cover the cancellation should you have already booked a holiday.

Q. What happens when I need to renew my Annual Multi-Trip policy?
We will remind you at least three weeks before your policy is due to expire and give you instructions on how to renew.
Q. Am I insured for holidays in the UK?
Yes, if you have purchased an annual multi trip policy. Any trip not exceeding the maximum trip length as confirmed in your policy schedule is covered within your home area where you have pre - booked at least two nights’ accommodation in a hotel, motel, holiday camp, bed and breakfast, holiday cottage or similar accommodation which is rented for a fee.
Q. What happens if my medical conditions change after I have purchased a policy?

If any of your details change then you will need to contact RAC Travel Insurance on 0330 159 0409 as soon as possible to update your policy.

If your details have changed and you travel without informing us of the changes then we may be unable to honour any claims which arise.

Q. I’m travelling in Europe – what insurance do I need?

RAC Travel Insurance can provide cover for you whether you’re travelling to France, Belgium, Spain or other European countries.  

Driving in Europe

If you’re planning on driving in Europe, don’t forget our RAC Car Insurance can cover you for up to 60 days in the EU.

Need Breakdown cover too? Our European Breakdown cover can provide cover for roadside assistance, garage labour costs, accommodation costs and getting your car back to the UK.

Also, take a look at our European travel information guide, which will tell you whether you need an International Driving License and how to get one, plus tips on driving in France and the rest of Europe.

You can also purchase European travel kits and accessories via our online RAC Shop.

Q. Does Brexit affect my RAC Travel Insurance or holiday to Europe?

On the 23rd June 2016, the UK voted to leave the European Union (EU).  For now, there will be no immediate impact on UK travellers in Europe until the UK exits the EU. As and when the UK does leave the EU, RAC Travel Insurance will ensure that customers are up to date with all changes.

Now we have left the European Union, how does it affect my RAC Travel Insurance policy?

Although the UK has voted to leave the EU, for now nothing will change, as it will take time to exit the EU. Therefore for the immediate future whilst the UK remains part of the EU, there will be no impact on your RAC Travel Insurance cover.

Can I still use my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in the EU?

Yes, the European Health Insurance Card entitles travellers to state-provided emergency treatment within the EU country they are visiting. At present there have been no changes regarding the EHIC and it is still valid in EU countries.

Can I still go through the EU queue at airport?

Yes, for now everything remains the same at UK and European airports. UK travellers are able to move between European countries and vice versa, and are able to use the EU queue.

Will I need a new passport if I am travelling this summer?

Currently the UK is still a member of the EU, so passports remain valid until the UK negotiates an exit deal.

What about my EU driving licence?

The information on your driving licence is the same as those used by drivers everywhere in the EU. As with passports, the licence will remain valid until the UK officially exits the EU, so currently there will be no impact on your UK driving licence.

Will I need a visa to travel the EU?

No, as the UK remains part of the EU you are still able to travel freely in the EU.

^ You must have a standalone RAC Breakdown policy or RAC Car Insurance policy and provide your membership or policy number at the time of purchase to qualify for the 10% discount. RAC Travel Insurance must be purchased directly from us and this discount is not available on price comparison or cashback websites. The discount will not apply to extended gadget cover. This offer can be withdrawn or amended at any time.

* Calls from landlines may be charged up to 9p per minute, plus a 15p call set up fee. Calls from mobiles may cost between 8p and 40p per minute. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded.

This offer is only available when you buy direct from the RAC website and is not available through Price Comparison or Affiliates websites. This offer is not available on our Orange cover level.

RAC Insurance is a trading name of RAC Financial Services Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 5171817. Registered office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. RAC Travel Insurance is administered by Hood Travel Limited. 1st Floor Maitland House, Warrior Square, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2JY. Registered in England No. 08318836. Hood Travel Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No.597211. Hood Travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer. RAC Travel Insurance is underwritten by ERV trading as ETI International Travel Protection, the UK branch of Europäische Reiseversicherung (ERV) AG, which is registered at Companies House FC 25660, branch registration BR 007939. ERV is authorised by the Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht (www.bafin.de) and the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Europäische Reiseversicherung (ERV) AG’s reference number is 220041 and registered address is Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ.

© 2019 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.